Weddings - Law and Cost
When can I get married?
Any time between the hours of 8am and 6pm.
Where can I get married?
Until fairly recently the laws about where a person could get married were fairly restrictive. You could only get married in a particular church if you actually lived within the parish boundaries or if you regularly travelled to worship at that church and had your name on that church’s electoral roll.
Since October 2008 the law has been relaxed slightly. This means that it is now possible to be married in a church to which you have a clear and provable connection.
So who can get married in St Andrew’s Uxbridge?
A man and a woman who are 'legally free to marry' can get married in St Andrew’s Church if ...
- One of the couple was baptised at St Andrew’s Uxbridge.
- One of the couple has been confirmed within the Church of England, and was prepared for confirmation at St Andrew’s Uxbridge.
- One of the couple has a parent or grandparent who was married at St Andrew’s Uxbridge.
- One of the couple has had their usual place of residence in the parish of St Andrew’s Uxbridge for at least 6 months at some stage during his or her life.
- One of the couple’s parent(s) has had his or her usual place of residence in the parish for at least 6 months during the lifetime of the requester.
- One of the couple has habitually attended public worship at Church of England services in St Andrew’s Uxbridge for at least 6 months.
- One of the couple’s parent(s) has habitually attended public worship at Church of England services in the parish of St Andrew’s Uxbridge for at least 6 months during the lifetime of the requester.
Couples hoping to get married in St Andrew’s will be asked to provide the appropriate documentary proof to support their application.
The marriage of UK Nationals
In normal circumstances people who are UK nationals do not need a Licence to get married in the Church of England. The Legal requirements are dealt with by what is called " The calling of the Banns". This is when the Priest publicly announces your intention to marry and asks the congregation if they know of any legal reason why you shouldn't. The Banns are called on three Sundays before the Wedding.
If you both come from different Parishes the Banns will also need to be called in your partner's Church.If this applies to you then you will need to contact the Rector or Vicar of that Church and ask him or her to call your Banns. When the banns have been called in that church you will need to go back and collect the Banns certificate, which needs to be given to the priest of the church where you are getting married.
The marriage of non UK nationals
People from Overseas cannot be married by the calling of Banns but will need a Surrogate’s Common License or Superintendent Registrar’s certificate.
We are more than willing to consider the application of non-UK nationals to marry in St Andrew’s. On such occasions we work within the guidelines issued by the Diocese and the UK Border Agency.
Because of the extra legalities involved (the checking of Passports and Visas and the obtaining of a Licence etc) we ask people to be aware that the process may take a little longer than usual.
Please make sure that you bring your passport, up to date visa documents and proof of your address.
Can divorced couples get married in St Andrew's?
Because of the scriptural teaching on lifelong marriage, it is not normal for divorcees to remarry within the Church of England.
However, following the bishop’s guidelines, we understand that there may sometimes be “exceptional circumstances,” where a person may remarry during the lifetime of their former husband or wife. The present clergy are happy to meet and discuss each couple’s unique circumstances to see whether it is appropriate for us to be the people who marry them.
How much does it cost to get married in St Andrew's?
For weddings taking place in 2017
WEDDING* ......................................... £566 (inc. Organist & Verger)
WEDDING WITH BELLS ........................ £686
WEDDING WITH CHOIR ....................... £646
WEDDING WITH CHOIR AND BELLS ...... £766
If heating is required please add a further £20
If you intend to have the service videoed then please add a further £60.
*Please note that this figure includes the cost of the organist and the verger. The main part of the fees are set in London and are sent out to us towards the end of every year.